Weekend must be a perfect day to sand all wood products to bring out their shiny look. Sanding wood materials with a sander machine is easier than doing it manually. For small materials, one may use sandpaper manually, but to save effort, use a sander machine instead.
Electrical equipment may get problems every now and then. So do the sander. Orbital sander may spin fast or not even work at all. In that case, you do not need to spend money all the time. You can fix the problems by yourself. So, how to fix orbital sander spinning too fast?
Here in this guide, we are going to add some solutions for fixing orbital sander machines and also sum up some other problems. Keep your eyes on it.
How to Fix Orbital Sander Spinning Too Fast – a Definite Guide
Time – 1 to more hour
- Tools and materials –
- Orbital sander.
Why is the orbital sander spinning fast?
Orbital sander moves in a round way also with a certain motion. The circular motion of the orbital sander makes no room for abrasives or rough parts. It continuously orbits from one side so that there is no uneven surface left.
Sometimes orbital sander can spin more than its normal spinning rate. This might be caused because of the clutch belt. The clutch belt is a part of the disk. If you remove it, the sander will not be spinning anymore. In case the clutch belt is broken, the sander will spin too fast than normal.
Another reason can be, the potentiometer is not working. Well, the spinning of an orbital sander is most likely to be controlled by an attached potentiometer or transistor. If the potentiometer is not doing well, it can cause fast spinning.
Fast change the potentiometer. You may contact a professional. There is also a bearing problem that can make the sander spin fast. In another way, sometimes the sander spins really fast when you hold it. But it may come down when you put it on the wood.
That’s why before sanding, put the sander above the wood and after that turn it on. Resulting in not feeling the rotation of the sander.
While using an orbital sander, also put enough pressure so that you can hold the sander in place.
Otherwise, the spinning will make your hands vibrate too. Making you imbalanced can cause severe accidents too. One of these might be the possible problem you are facing. Now you may find your problem and go on the run with an applicable solution.
How to Fix Orbital Sander Spinning too Fast
Orbital sander spinning too fast should be solved quickly. Or else it can leave marks on the surface or leave a swirl. The material should look completely uneven to satisfy one’s eyesight. That’s why here we are to cheer you up. Look forward to the solutions.
Replacing Clutch Belt
If the sander is spinning too fast, replacing the clutch belt might be your solution. A broken clutch belt causes fast spinning. So better to replace it. To replace the clutch belt, follow the below steps.
Step 1 – Remove the Screws.
A pad is attached beneath the sander that holds sandpaper. First, remove the screws to put off the pad. Now the clutch belt is exposed. You can see a transparent belt fixed there. Look at its condition. Most probably, it’s broken or damaged. Now move to next.
Step 2 – Replace the Clutch Belt.
It is time to attach a new clutch belt. You can find clutch belts on the market or online. Now take a clutch belt and hold it on the pulley. Surround the belt to the pad support. The pad support is rotatable. Rotate it while holding the belt to the pulley.
Easily attached to the pad support. Remember, the clutch belt should be connected to both the pulley and the pad support. It will make a V with the pulley. Now you are done replacing the clutch belt.
Step 3 – Attaching Screws.
After removing the old clutch belt, it is time to place the pad. Now take the previous screws to secure the pad to the sander. First, take the pad and place it on the bottom. Next, place the screws on the pad and fix them with a screwdriver. Now your sander is ready to go for a test.
The other cause of the orbital sander spinning too fast can be because the potentiometer is faulty.
The potentiometer works as a voltage controller. If the potentiometer is faulty, the voltage will continuously go up and down. To match with the voltage, the orbital sander will move accordingly.
The spinning rate will increase and decrease from time to time. This may eventually create some swirl marks too. That’s why to change the potentiometer as fast as possible. Otherwise, the whole machine will spin too in the future. Fix it from a professional. Do not try to do it by yourself.
Fixing Bearing Problems
If all the above solutions do not work for you, it might be a problem. Well, bearings can wear out sometimes or get ruined. Resulting in the fast spinning of the sander.
In that case, you should replace the bearing. Buy a new one. Here you should not use the bearing of a regular seal. It can get damaged too easily. Instead, buy a bearing with a lighter contact seal. This may provide a better guard. In either case, it may solve your problem.
How do you Fix Orbital Sander Swirls?
Orbital sanders can easily produce swirls. The swirls may look more visible after finishing sanding.
It can occur if you keep the sander in one place for long or while moving back and forth. If you are running the orbital sander back and forth, do not move the sander from side to side. One should run it from only one side to not leave swirls.
Not using proper grit paper can also be a reason. The sander that keeps digging in the same spot can also create swirl marks Or unclean sandpaper. Apart from that, moving too fast or spinning fast can also cause a swirl. Now the question that stands is how to fix it? Well, several ways to follow.
- First, see if the sandpaper is clean. If it has dust on it, remove the dust immediately. You can also use new sandpaper. These will prevent the sander from digging down and creating swirl marks.
- Next, use the sander slowly. Orbital sanders rotate around the area. If you run it too fast, it can leave marks. That’s why run the sander slowly from one side to another.
- If it doesn’t solve the problem, then you should focus on the sandpaper. Well, you need to use two sandpapers for sanding, as you know. One sandpaper to even the surface and the other to smoothen it.
- If the first used sandpaper leaves marks on the surface, you should not ignore these. Some may feel, the next sandpaper would smoothen it out. But no, it doesn’t. Instead creates a deeper one.
- That’s why to try using several grit papers but in sequence. As a result, the created swirls would disappear slowly as you sand.
- After finishing sanding, if you find any swirls, you may sand the wood again.
- Now take a finer grit less than the previous grit you used. Then run the sanding machine. It will solve your problem immediately.
Orbital Sander not Orbiting
Sometimes one may find the orbital sander not orbiting at all. Well, orbital sanders are supposed to rotate. If they are not rotating, how would they work?
If you are using the sander without plugging it on, that might be another case. Sander may not orbit because of several issues like clutch belt issues, cleaning issues.
Most commonly clutch belt getting broken can cause the sander not to rotate. Here, you need to change the clutch belt. One can change the clutch belt easily with a new one and by oneself.
- First, lose up the screw to remove the pad from the bottom. The clutch belt may be visible now. If it is broken, then remove it and put in the new one. Put the belt to the pulley and to the support pad and make a V.
- After putting in the new clutch belt, screw up the pad. Now try the sander if it’s orbiting or not. If the problem is not fixed yet, try the next.
- Now free the screws from the upper part of the sander and see if there is dust present or not. Most of the time, dust present there jam the sander so that it results in not working. You can clean it and use some lubricate too.
- If you are not confident to clean it, take it to professionals. Well, cleaning might be a little bit risky as you may unintentionally loosen some parts. Better take it to the shop. They may blow the dirt inside it and remove it.
- In either case, the sander needs to be cleaned. The case may be the use of incorrect grit sandpaper. Well, the sandpaper of higher grit removes rough parts from the surface and makes it even. But not every grit is suitable for every wood.
- Your used wood might have less roughness. The used sandpaper might not find that roughness suitable for sand. That totally depends on both the surface of the material and how it is.
- More precisely, if you are using lower grit sandpaper and it is not working, move to higher grit sandpaper. The lower grit sandpaper might not have found any roughness on the wood. So, change the sandpaper immediately.
Do orbital sanders leave swirl marks?
Sometimes, if the orbital sander is not doing well, Sander might create swirl marks by spinning too fast. Or running the sander aggressively in an uncertain way can also lead to swirl marks.
There are also several methods to remove swirl marks. If you repair the orbital sander or fix the sander before sanding, swirl marks can be prevented. For this, one needs to sand perfectly.
How fast should the orbital sander spin?
It actually depends on the wood you are sanding. Well, fast-spinning may leave swirl marks on, and less spinning may leave rough edges more. There is no fixed rate for the spinning of a sander.
Using variable speed is better as you can change the speed. First, start with a slow speed. It works better, leaving no swirl marks and moving only from one side to another.
Can I use an orbital sander to remove the paint?
Of course, anyone can use a sander to remove paint, even if it is an orbital sander. Any sander can do that. Orbital sanders rotate while working and make the surface even.
At the same time, if you run it on the painted surface, it would remove the paint too. While working in a round way, the sander would clean the rough edges too. Any sander would do this much.
When should I use an orbital sander?
A sander should be used before assembling the wooden parts. If you are preparing a chair or a desk, or a staircase, you need to sand it.
For sanding wood or wood materials, one can try sanding with an orbital sander. One should also use it before painting so that the paint fits in.
Sander has used to evening the uneven parts. You Can also use an orbital sander on old wood materials to provide it a shiny look outside. Or to fix the rough edges of wood materials.
Sanding is not an easy task to do. Neither using the orbital sander is easy. The orbital sander may create a lot of problems. Like spinning fast, not working, leaving swirl marks, sandpaper getting frequently removed, etc. You also need physical effort.
Apart from all these problems, using an orbital sander is also a matter of relief. Working fast without leaving any uneven tone on the surface. Also, giving you slack of time. That’s what an orbital sander can offer.
Overall, using an orbital sander is not bad. From saving time to enjoying the time, it seems perfect. I hope now you know how to fix orbital sander spinning too fast. It would be great to enjoy your free time after fixing or making things. Everything seems sweet after putting in the effort.